Write a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
The goal of creating a SOP is to clearly and succinctly convey the specific actions that are absolutely required to complete a task.
A specific SOP should include:
- Title and Date: Descriptive title, date written, and updated
- Policy: Rules on practices on your farm to minimize risks
- Purpose: “Description” or “Why we do this”
- Scope: What is included, what does it cover
- Responsibility: Who does it and who makes sure it gets done
- Materials: A list of the items needed to accomplish task
- Procedure: Step-by-step, in order list of what one must do
Tips for refining:
- Keep it action oriented – Start with an action word “wipe,” “remove” . . .
- Be concise
- Break tasks up into numbered steps